Lunchtime Lecture Series
at the Archie K. Davis Center in Winston-Salem, NC
A Partnership of the Moravian Archives and Moravian Music Foundation
Lectures are held at 12:15 p.m., on the second Thursday of the month, in the Spaugh Lecture/Recital Hall of the Archie K. Davis Center.
FREE and open to the public.
You’re welcome to bring your lunch!
If the local schools are delayed, cancelled, or released early because of weather, please check the MMF website, the MMF Facebook page, or call 725-0651 before coming to the lecture!
- September 14, 2017 Music Editing and Publishing; David Blum and Gwyneth Michel.
- October 12, 2017 From 95 Theses to 365 Diary Entries: A Day in the Life of the Salem Congregation 1817; Grant McAllister, Professor of German at Wake Forest University
- November 9, 2017 Keeping the Moravian Past for the Future: New Challenges and New Opportunities; J. Eric Elliott, Interim Archivist, Moravian Archives of the Southern Province.
- December 14, 2017 Variations on Morning Star; the beloved song by Francis Florentine Hagen, its origins and variations. Nola R. Knouse, speaker
- January 11, 2018 Music from the Nazareth Moravian Church Collection and the Collegium Musicum – Nola Reed Knouse
- February 8, 2018 Back to the Cherokee Nation – Stories from the Archives’ New Publication Records of the Moravians Among the Cherokees, volume 7; Richard Starbuck, Past Archivist, Moravian Archives of the Southern Province.
- March 8, 2018 Singing Lent: A Look at the Hymns of This Season – Nola Reed Knouse
- April 12, 2018 Sacred Dramatic Music and Moravians in the 18th and 19th Centuries – Barbara Strauss
- May 10, 2018 Archival Resources for Local Historic Preservation and Restoration – J. Eric Elliott, Archivist, Moravian Archives, 457 S. Church St., W-S NC 336-722-1742 www.moravianarchives.org https://www.facebook.com/Moravian-Archives-Winston-Salem-NC-222812601157989/
HANDICAPPED ACCESS, elevator access, and anyone who needs to save some steps or shorten their walk: Once you have parked in the Salem College/A K Davis Ctr/God’s Acre parking lot (see Directions), follow the brick ramp and approach the building on the lowest level (double gate) and press the CALL button. The intercom is active, and someone will come down the elevator to let you in the building, there at the double doors.