Moravian Music Sunday – April 29, 2018
Music and Musicians from Herrnhut
Recognizing that music is a means of proclaiming the Gospel, we celebrate Moravian Music Sunday on the fifth Sunday of Easter, which, in 2018, is April 29. Materials designed to assist your worship planning team in the preparation for Moravian Music Sunday are available HERE. A special note: If April 29 isn’t a convenient time for your celebration of Moravian Music Sunday, please do celebrate it at any time that “works” for your congregation!
This year we take as our theme the musical heritage of Herrnhut, recognizing several composers who were born or lived and worked in Herrnhut in the 18th and 19th centuries. The suggested order of worship includes hymns and anthems that are keyed to the Revised Common Lectionary, but also that speak to our theme.
There are also many Moravians living today who are writing hymn texts and music, anthems, instrumental music, sacred songs, and all sorts of music – probably someone in your own congregation! While we are offering some suggestions for specific hymns and anthems, we encourage you to seek out those gifted composers and authors in your own congregation and celebrate their gifts.
In recognition of the Moravian Unity Brass Festival to be held in Winston-Salem this July 19-22, we encourage you to use brass players in your worship especially for Moravian Music Sunday but at other times as well.
To help in your planning, we’re including the following on our website —
- A suggested order of service, which can easily be adapted for use in a lovefeast;
- A short liturgy for Moravian Music Sunday;
- A “statement to be read” which focuses attention on Moravian music in the perspective of faith and worship; or, you might invite someone who has visited Herrnhut to speak about their experiences;
- Information regarding the music suggested for Moravian Music Sunday, which you may use in your newsletter or bulletin; and
- A camera-ready “front-and-back” bulletin insert, describing Moravian music and the Moravian Music Foundation.
We would appreciate receiving bulletins or reports on what you choose to do for Moravian Music Sunday. What you do may serve as a model for someone else! Many thanks, and may God continue to bless your ministry!
Leave a Reply