The Restoration of David Tannenberg’s Salem Organ
Built for Salem Congregation and the construction of their 1800 church building, now, Home Moravian Church.
Tannenberg’s career and achievements are a coalescence of his skills, highly valued in the Moravian craft tradition that developed in the eighteenth century, and of the importance of music in Moravian culture and worship, especially hymn-singing.
Once Salem was established in 1771, organs were built for the Saal (place of worship) in 1798 and that same instrument plays today, in the Brothers’ House. When the current church building was finished in 1800, it was appointed with a new organ. The organ was built in Pennsylvania, shipped to North Carolina, and installed by Tannenberg’s apprentice, Philip Bachmann, assisted by Jakob Fetter. In fact, much of the casement was constructed in Salem during this eleven month installation. That 1800 instrument has been replaced twice and was restored and installed in the Old Salem Visitor Center in 2004.
There are no reviews yet.